Piedmont Athens Regional Hospital - Athens, Georgia
JOB PURPOSE: Provides skilled wound, ostomy and continence nursing care to patients from adolescent through geriatric in the home setting. Consults regularly with other team members regarding patient care needs requiring the experience and knowledge of a wound, ostomy continence professional. Provides direct and indirect patient care through the application of the nursing process, including assessment, planning, implementing, and evaluating care rendered. Practices in compliance with professional knowledge and standards of clinical practice and in accordance with policies and procedures of the agency, laws and regulations of Medicare, Medicaid and other third party payers. Demonstrates professional growth and accountability. Reports to and is supported by the Piedmont Home Health Clinical Manager.
1. Provides comprehensive skilled assessments and interventions based on physicians’ orders and in compliance with professional knowledge and skills, and in accordance with accepted standards of clinical practice.
2. Works with the care team to develop and implement a patient-centered plan of care with measurable goals and outcomes, taking into consideration the goals and preferences of the patient and including the patient’s legal or patient-selected representative, if any, when appropriate.
3. Makes evidenced based recommendations regarding wound care and ostomy products to assure high quality patient outcomes while protecting the resources of the agency.
4. Collaborates with other healthcare professionals and functions within the framework of the policies and procedures of home health, legal, and regulatory requirements.
5. Utilizes a holistic approach in the provision of care and services including ongoing assessments, problem identification and resolution, specific therapeutic interventions, and patient/family education to achieve individual patient goals and outcomes.
6. Applies rules and regulations of Medicare, Medicaid, private insurers or other federally funded payers to determine initial and ongoing qualification for home care services to prevent fraud, waste or abuse.
7. May supervise the Home Health Aide in the provision of individual care of patients, assuring supervisory requirements of the Conditions of Participation are met.
8. Accurately documents care provided in accordance with law, regulation and agency policy to protect the financial resources of the agency.
9. Communicates routinely with the Home Health Clinical Manager.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES
• Thorough knowledge of wound and ostomy procedures with the ability to assist and interact effectively with patients, caregivers, other staff members and physicians.
• Possess instructional skills and knowledge of educational techniques.
• Possess leadership skills in critical thinking.
• Must have the ability to communicate effectively, verbally and in writing, with other healthcare personnel, patients, families, and physicians.
• Must have the emotional stamina to deal with a variety of stressful situations including emergency response to patient incidents or patients with multiple chronic illnesses.
• Requires tact, discretion, diplomacy, and ability to work effectively with others.
• Has an ability to evaluate and/or interpret information and make independent decisions.
• Must have sensory skills to differentiate clinical signs and symptoms.
• Possesses appropriate interpersonal and organizational skills.
• Must be able to read, write, speak and understand the English language.
• Must be able to organize work, to delegate effectively, and to direct and oversee the work of assistants, techs, and other healthcare providers.
MINIMUM EDUCATION REQUIRED:
Graduate of an accredited school of Nursing.
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
One year of acute care experience plus two (2) years of clinical experience in wound/ostomy care and management.
MINIMUM LICENSURE/CERTIFICATION REQUIRED BY LAW:
Current Georgia license as a Registered Nurse. CPR certified. Valid Georgia Driver’s license.
Home Health experience preferred. Experience working in research, analysis of data, and editing collateral preferred. Certified Wound Ostomy Continence Nurse (CWOCN) preferred.
At Piedmont Healthcare we embrace diverse ideas, perspectives, and skills to create a collaborative workplace where the best talent wants to succeed. We celebrate differences and recognize that they allow us to care for our community.
Piedmont is a certified Great Place to Work™-- a national designation based on employee feedback about trust, workplace culture and experience. In 2019, Forbes named Piedmont one of Georgia’s 10 best employers and the highest-ranked healthcare provider.