Functions as a first assistant during operative and other invasive procedures in accordance with credentials, privileges, experience, education and competency verification. Assists OR staff in the assigned room/case. At time facilitates the operative or other invasive procedure by preparing and providing the required sterile instruments, supplies and equipment in the role of scrub tech. Maintains the sterile field and anticipates and responds to the needs of the surgical team.
1. Reviews patient health data relevant to the operative or invasive procedure (eg, history and physical).
2. Functions as a first assistant during operative and other invasive procedures by
3. Serves as a resource to peers, colleagues, and others in relation to first assistant activities.
4. Functions as a scrub person during operative and other invasive procedures.
5. Cleans and prepares surgical instruments for processing and transport them to the decontamination areas.
6. Assists with post procedure cleaning of the operative or other invasive procedure room and preparation of room for subsequent patients.
7. Job responsibilities may include proximity to medications while in areas with restricted access.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES
Requires maintaining proficiency in the perioperative scrub role and flexibility to meet department needs.
Ability to work in a stressful environment and ability to work in a collaborative team environment.
Ability to respond appropriately to emergencies and/or difficult situations.
Willingness to participate in a call rotation and work irregular hours as necessary.
Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
Basic computer skills.
The above information is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
MINIMUM EDUCATION REQUIRED:
Graduate from a surgical technologist program. Requires completion of didactic and clinical components of the First Assistant program or competency verified by a sponsoring Piedmont surgeon during the orientation period.
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
Three years perioperative services experience.
ADDITIONAL REQUIRED CERTIFICATIONS:
Certified surgical technologist (CST).
Basic Life Support (BLS) certification.
MINIMUM LICENSURE/CERTIFICATION REQUIRED BY LAW:
ADDITIONAL PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS:
Certified surgical assistant (CSA), Certified surgical first assistant (CSFA), Surgical assistant, certified, (SA-C) or equivalent certification
Diversity & Inclusion
At Piedmont Healthcare we embrace diverse ideas, perspectives, and skills to create a collaborative workplace where the best talent wants to succeed. We celebrate differences and recognize that they allow us to care for our community.
Excellence at Work
Piedmont is a certified Great Place to Work™-- a national designation based on employee feedback about trust, workplace culture and experience. In 2019, Forbes named Piedmont one of Georgia’s 10 best employers and the highest-ranked healthcare provider.