Piedmont Atlanta Hospital - Atlanta, Georgia
APP- Primary Care
Performs a variety of patient care activities in accordance with established standards and practice. Emphasizes health promotion as well as acute and chronic disease management. Works in conjunction with physicians to provide medical services to patients; collects and documents data, conducts diagnostic and therapeutic procedures, orders and schedules laboratory studies and professional consultations and provides direct patient care services, including physical exams, diagnoses and treatment of patients, etc.
1. Performs diagnostic and therapeutic procedures to assist in diagnosing medical and surgical problems and prescribing necessary treatment and services for quality patient care. Reviews normal and abnormal diagnostic tests and takes appropriate action according to the individual’s scope of practice. Participates in research by serving as a Primary Investigator or Sub- Investigator in clinical trials and registries.
2. Takes patient histories, conducts physical examinations, and records the date in the patient’s record; writes progress notes; prepares patient workups and summaries noting pertinent positive and negative findings; obtains psycho social history relevant to patient care, and assumes responsibility for developing therapeutic relationships with patients.
3. Orders and interprets laboratory studies and diagnostic procedures; explains necessity, preparation, nature and anticipated effects of scheduled diagnostic and therapeutic procedures to the patient. Obtains written patient consents and communicates with experts and communicates with experts as needed.
4. Carries out therapeutic procedures such as cast application and removal, wound suturing and dressing changes; monitors progress of patients, report progress to supervising physician, and maintains record of each patient’s progress, consulting with supervising physician when patient’s progress does not meet anticipated and/or predetermined criteria.
5. Makes diagnoses and formulates a treatment plan for patients. Performs patient education on their disease state, as well as healthy living recommendations. Will perform follow up exams after procedures, hospitalizations, surgeries, etc.
6. Provides clinical expertise and serves as a resource for office clinical staff in physician’s absence.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES
- Ability to understand and comply with current laws, rules, and regulations which govern the practice APP’s in the State of Georgia.
- Ability to assess the physical needs of the patients visiting the Emergency Department.
- Ability to work as a member of a team.
- Skill and ability in electronic medical records applications.
- Ability to interpret appropriate diagnostic and laboratory tests, explaining the necessity, preparation, nature and anticipated effects of procedure(s) to patients, patient family, staff and healthcare learners.
- Ability to initiate appropriate evaluation and treatment utilizing established protocols, including administration of life supporting drugs and use of defibrillation according to Advanced Cardiac Life Support Standards when the supervising physician is not present.
The above information is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
MINIMUM EDUCATION REQUIRED:
Graduate from an accredited school of nursing with current Georgia license for Advanced Practice Nursing and a Master’s degree in Nursing, OR graduate of an accredited Physician Assistants program with current license for the Georgia State Composite Board.
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
MINIMUM LICENSURE/CERTIFICATION REQUIRED BY LAW:
Licensed Physician Assistant in the State of Georgia. OR Licensed for Advanced Practice Nursing (ACNP).
At Piedmont Healthcare we embrace diverse ideas, perspectives, and skills to create a collaborative workplace where the best talent wants to succeed. We celebrate differences and recognize that they allow us to care for our community.
Piedmont is a certified Great Place to Work™-- a national designation based on employee feedback about trust, workplace culture and experience. In 2019, Forbes named Piedmont one of Georgia’s 10 best employers and the highest-ranked healthcare provider.