Piedmont Eastside Medical Center - Atlanta, Georgia
Piedmont’s promise is to make a positive difference in every life we touch. Founded in 1905, Piedmont Healthcare is a private, not-for-profit organization with more than 23,000 employees providing safe, convenient and high-quality care across 15 hospitals and more than 600 urgent care, quick care and physician practice locations. Are you looking to grow your career with an Award winning Healthcare System? Come join the Piedmont Family.
Maintains recommended standards for set assembly, decontamination, inspection, containerizing and sterilizing surgical instruments in an accurate and timely manner. Performs sterilization, assembly and storage of medical supplies and equipment. Collaborates with the Perioperative Nursing staff to provide sterile instrument sets, and equipment in an accurate and timely manner. Assists in maintaining consistent and continuous work flow, providing superior customer service.
1. Processes instruments and equipment.
a. Orders, restocks and decontaminates sterilization equipment and instruments.
b. Collects dirty equipment and instruments.
c. Sorts, loads, unloads and decontaminates equipment and instruments according to procedures.
2. Monitors, coordinates, and facilitates sterilization process.
a. Assembles trays, basin sets, packages, instruments and equipment and prepares items for sterilization.
b. Sterilizes instruments, equipment and supplies as required; handles and stores instruments, equipment and supplies appropriately.
3. Performs biological and chemical monitoring in accordance with quality assurance standards.
4. Completes tray audits.
5. Coordinates with management in order to maintain instrument sharpening/repair schedule for all instruments.
6. Ensures specialty carts are stocked and ready for immediate use.
7. Works with managers, OR staff and surgeons to identify/implement methods to improve service.
8. Completes documentation.
10. Retains new information and implements new processes or use new equipment.
11. Serves as willing, cooperative, informative, supportive guide for new employees
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES
• Knowledge of sterilization supplies, equipment and instruments.
• Knowledge of organizing, containing, and transporting items of varying compounds, textures or quantities.
• Knowledge of transporting and disposing of hazardous materials and sharp objects according to hospital procedures.
• Knowledge of sterilization procedures of various equipment and instruments.
• Knowledge of wrapping and repackaging sterilized instruments.
• Skill in using sterilization equipment and instruments.
• Skill in arranging instruments on surgical trays.
• Skill in following written instructions and performing multiple tasks.
• Skill in establishing and maintaining cooperative working relationships with others.
• Skill and ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in-writing.
• Ability to work as a member of a team.
• Ability to adapt quickly to changing situations.
• Skill and ability in basic computer skills.
MINIMUM EDUCATION REQUIRED:
High School graduate or GED.
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
Graduate of a Central Service Processing program OR prior experience as a Central Service Tech OR Surgical Tech experience or completion of a Surgical Tech program
MINIMUM LICENSURE/CERTIFICATION REQUIRED BY LAW:
At Piedmont Healthcare we embrace diverse ideas, perspectives, and skills to create a collaborative workplace where the best talent wants to succeed. We celebrate differences and recognize that they allow us to care for our community.
Piedmont is a certified Great Place to Work™-- a national designation based on employee feedback about trust, workplace culture and experience. In 2019, Forbes named Piedmont one of Georgia’s 10 best employers and the highest-ranked healthcare provider.