Piedmont Athens Regional Hospital - Athens, Georgia
JOB PURPOSE: The pharmacy technician assists the pharmacist in providing service to patients and physicians in accordance with all applicable laws and regulations as well as company philosophy, policies and service standards. The pharmacy technician is supervised by the Pharmacist on duty.
1. Assists the pharmacist to ensure that medications provided correspond with valid prescriptions and are dispensed without error
2. Assists the pharmacist to ensure that prescriptions and medications are dispensed in accordance with all Federal and State laws.
3. Answers questions and provides information to pharmacy customers as able and recommends a pharmacist regarding drug interactions, side effects, dosage, and storage of medications.
4. Actively engages patients and clients with respect to customer service/program integrations offered by the pharmacy and medical system.
5. Handles and resolves customer issues, complaints and questions to build customer trust and loyalty.
6. Assists in the preparation of extemporaneous compounds designed to fit the needs of the patient and requirements of the physician.
7. Responsible maintaining pharmacy inventory, ordering prescription medications, OTC meds, first aid, and disposable durable medical equipment
8. Assists the pharmacist as necessary with third party Rx claim rejection problems and resubmission of rejected claims for payment on a timely basis
9. Performs other duties as assigned
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES
o Ability to work evening and weekend shifts
o Proficient with typing skills and medical terminology
o Proficient with pharmacy/drug terminology and metric system
o Teamwork attitude with ability to work with many types of medical professionals
o Excellent telephone manners and customer service skills
o Proficient with pharmacy and wholesaler software applications
o Well organized with the ability to balance multiple tasks and prioritize workload
The above information is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
MINIMUM EDUCATION REQUIRED:
High school diploma or GED.
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
MINIMUM LICENSURE/CERTIFICATION REQUIRED BY LAW:
Registration (current) required with the state Board of Pharmacy as a Pharmacy Technician or Pharmacy Intern.
Previous experience with retail pharmacy is preferred.
At Piedmont Healthcare we embrace diverse ideas, perspectives, and skills to create a collaborative workplace where the best talent wants to succeed. We celebrate differences and recognize that they allow us to care for our community.
Piedmont is a certified Great Place to Work™-- a national designation based on employee feedback about trust, workplace culture and experience. In 2019, Forbes named Piedmont one of Georgia’s 10 best employers and the highest-ranked healthcare provider.