Wound Care- Physician Assistant/Nurse Practitioner- Piedmont Walton
APP- Wound Care
Performs a variety of patient care activities in accordance with established standards and practice. Emphasizes health promotion as well as acute and chronic disease management. Works in conjunction with physicians to provide medical services to patients; collects and documents data, conducts diagnostic and therapeutic procedures, orders and schedules laboratory studies and professional consultations and provides direct patient care services, including physical exams, diagnoses and treatment of patients, etc.
1. Performs evaluations for new patients, sees follow up visits for additional treatment and procedures as planned. Oversees patient care by clinicians within the OP clinic for day to day patient needs.
2. Performs diagnostic and therapeutic procedures to assist in diagnosing medical and surgical problems and prescribing necessary treatment and services for quality patient care. Reviews
normal and abnormal diagnostic tests and takes appropriate action according to the individuals scope of practice. Participates in research by serving as a Primary Investigator or Sub-Investigator in clinical trials and registries.
3. Takes patient histories, conducts physical examinations, and records the date in the patients record; writes progress notes; prepares patient workups and summaries noting pertinent positive and negative findings; obtains psycho social history relevant to patient care, and assumes responsibility for developing therapeutic relationships with patients.
4. Orders and interprets laboratory studies and diagnostic procedures; explains necessity, preparation, nature and anticipated effects of scheduled diagnostic and therapeutic procedures to the patient. Obtains written patient consents and communicates with experts and communicates with experts as needed.
5. Carries out therapeutic procedures such as cast application and removal, wound suturing and dressing changes; monitors progress of patients, report progress to supervising physician, and maintains record of each patients progress, consulting with supervising physician when patients progress does not meet anticipated and/or predetermined criteria. Frequently performs treatments/ procedures:
Supervises daily (M-F) hyperbaric medicine treatments
Excisional, Sharp, ultrasonic, enzymatic and chemical debridement
Punch/ Tangential/ Excisional biopsies
Suture/ staple removal
Total contact casting application and removal
Topical and local anesthesia
Application of negative pressure
Application of bioengineered tissues
Gastric and ostomy lavage
Remove/ replace g-tubes
6. Makes diagnoses and formulates a treatment plan for patients. Performs patient education on their disease state, as well as healthy living recommendations, behavior management, and need for additional medical care with primary care physician. Will perform follow up exams after procedures, hospitalizations, surgeries, etc. Collaborates for post-surgical care with specialty surgeons as needed (transplant, colorectal surgery, CV etc).
7. Coordinates orders for home health care, durable medical equipment (hospital beds, wheelchairs, walkers, dressings)
8. Conducts pre-surgical teaching/ marking for ostomy patients.
9. Provides clinical expertise and serves as a resource for office clinical staff in physicians absence. Trains and teaches other healthcare providers in the specialty of wound care.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES
Skill and ability in electronic medical records applications.
Proficiency in working as a member of a team.
Proficiency in communicating effectively both in writing and verbally.
Skill and ability to handle multiple priorities and deadlines.
Ability to understand legal issues that influence the practice of the extenders.
Ability to lead a team maintaining professional demeanor
Ability to build effective relationships within and outside PHC.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
The above information is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
MINIMUM EDUCATION REQUIRED:
Graduate from an accredited school of nursing with current Georgia license for Advanced Practice Nursing and a Masters degree in Nursing or graduate of an accredited Physician Assistant program with current license for the Georgia State Composite Board.
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
MINIMUM LICENSURE/CERTIFICATION REQUIRED BY LAW:
Licensed Physician Assistant in the State of Georgia. OR Licensed for Advanced Practice Nursing (ACNP, FNP, WHNP). Updated NCCPA for PAs required.
CPR/ACLS required. - ACLS required within 6 months of hyperbaric medicine training
Completes hyperbaric medicine training within 6 months of hire
Wound care certification preferred within 2 years of hire (CWON, CWS)